Friday 10 June 2011

Shared Lunches

As the parent of any allergy kid knows, the school shared lunch thing is a real pain.  It is one of the times that our precious kids really do have to show they are different from their peers.  Emma is lucky in one way because there is another girl in her class who is seriously allergic to Nuts and Eggs too.

Today is International day at school.  It is a wonderful celebration of the 30 or so different cultures present at our primary school. 
They have a wonderful assembly and follow it with a shared lunch which is supposed to offer a wide range of foods from many cultures.  I went along the middle eastern theme with pita bread crisps, carrots, capsicum and hummus.  As I put her food out with the others, I noticed the international theme of Emma's class seemed to be pizza, sushi, cake, slices and biscuits and apart from the teacher aides fruit platter, there was nothing else safe for Emma to eat. 


It is days like these that make me feel so sad for my darling girl, but she is so brave about it.  She just knows the food is no good for her.  She really is a true hero to me for the way she handles her allergies.

Emma, you ROCK.  I am so glad you are mine.

2 comments:

  1. I feel for you Emma. I totally relate. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you! We had a massive international food festival at school last year and a friend actually kept her daughter home. I was so excited about the Sri Lankan table because they'd put all of their ingredients listed with each item. R got to eat lots of Sri Lanken goodies.

    ReplyDelete