Tuesday 29 January 2013

Glorious Plums

I just love all the plums we get at this time of year.  Our tree has some beautiful Omega or Black Doris Plums - never quite sure what the difference is actually.  And my mother-in-law has 2 prolific trees.  We made some jam, some dessert topping and froze plenty for later.



With friends coming over for dinner, I decided to try and make a plum cake for dessert.  I found this recipe for German Plum Cake (or Pflaumenkuchen) and being risen with yeast rather than eggs, I didnt have to make any changes for the allergy kid.

I have never made a yeast risen cake before, and I must say kneading the dough was a great stress reliever.  Both the girls joined in the fun.


Sticky dough

After waiting for the dough to rise, we pushed the halved plums into the dough and sprinkled the struesel topping on to it and into the oven.  It sure smells good.

Just out the oven

The cake was really nice, not to sweet and the plums were really tasty.  But I think I need to work on my dough making skills.  For a first attempt I got rave reviews from hubby & the friends we shared it with.

Enjoy

Barbs x.

No comments:

Post a Comment