Tuesday 10 May 2011

Good old fashioned scones

Monday was one of those days when about to make school lunches I realised there was no bread!  Something to do with being kicked out of the kitchen on Sunday since it was Mother's Day.

So I quickly whipped up a batch of scones which were enjoyed by all.  "Can I have them again tomorrow?" was asked by my usually scone hating allergy kid.  The recipe is from the good old Edmonds cookbook and adapted for Emma.

3 Cups plain baking flour
6 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
50g Olivani
1 1/4 C Rice Milk
About 1/4 C water

1. Sift Flour and Baking Powder into bowl, add salt.
2. Rub in Olivani until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Add milk and mix into a dough, add more water as required to reach soft dough consistancy.
4. Knead lightly.
5. Turn out onto floured oven tray and cut into pieces.
6. Bake at 220C for 10 - 15 Minutes until golden brown.
7. Serve with Jam (We used the Morello Cherry Jam from Barkers.  It has whole cherries in it and tastes yummy!)

Sometimes I add dried fruit to the mixture before adding the liquids.  My favourite ones are with about 3/4 C chopped Dates, 1 Tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp Cinnamon added to the dry ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. I am terrible at making scones, like really awful. BUT tried these and they worked out great!! Thanks x

    ReplyDelete